Google
 

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Yes, you can...

One of the things that struck me when it comes to building a castle is the amount of work that it will involve. We're not talking about something that can be built in the space of a year here, this is more like a 5 year project depending on the size of it - if you're lucky! One thing I do have going for me is that I did some construction work in my summers off in High School and College, and I was no stranger to tools to begin with having grown up in a rural area where the repairing of vehicles to building fences was the norm. Never built anything on the scale of an entire house, though. I hope to put my skills to the test someday...

I spent many months scouring the internet, at first out of curiosity, and then out of honest interest, for homebuilders that wanted a unique place to live so I could see what I might be getting myself into. Now, I'd always had an interest in things Medieval as well as castles, have been interested in architecture for some time, add a fairly recent interest in organic architecture (meaning something more artistic and not just a square) and the benefits of earth sheltered homes, and you have my driving forces in researching this topic.

There's no reason one can't combine earth-sheltering in castlebuilding (build the castle into the side of a hill) or couldn't create a "castle" with organic architecture. I submit to you Wing's Castle, an owner built castle that is a great example of where these ideas converge.

It just goes to show you that you can definitely build your own castle, it need not be some towering edifice, and can be very unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment