Google
 

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Comments

I originally started this post as a reply to the comments regarding the post below, but it got a little long winded so it now gets it's on spot on the front page.

Castle interiors were whitewashed, and were often painted with decorations to boot! Thanks for the reminder though, the structure would definitely be partly stone and partly "finished" interior.

You know, I've been to the Castlemagic site several times drooling over the really nice work that they do, and as I've advanced my construction knowledge I haven't stopped back by to look at the work going on in the pictures. Thanks for making me look again!

From what I can see, Castlemagic does a masonry stone wall, on the inside and outside, only one layer thick. In between the two there is a fairly large gap on the order of 8-12" that has re-bar and foam insulation in it. Once the masonry walls are set up, concrete is poured around the insulation to fill the gap. The stones are probably brought in, they border on quarry cut ashlar variety. They are very consistent as far as thickness and quality. This means they are very expensive but guarantees a good, consistent finished product. Looks good, works great. One could buy a mason's stonebreaker, hand pumped [image here], powered by air [image here] and fully powered hydraulic [here]. The first two are under $2000, the last is over $30,000. If one was willing to take the time to split stones, a very nice finish could be achieved. For $30,000 one could probably buy all the pre-split stones one would need for a reasonably sized building.

My issues are that I don't have the knowledge yet to appropriately design a masonry/cement wall for the height of the structure I'd like to build. I may very well be way out of line on my estimates for the structure I've been looking at because of that lack of knowledge. Also, the amount of concrete fill Castlemagic uses looks to be very large, ergo expensive. I'd like to minimize additional costs.

Here's a thought; why not use the slipform method or the method mentioned in the aforementioned book and build in a re-bar and insulation core?

A quick search of the internet reveals a really nice flash presentation of a pretty house done with slipform: House of Stone There are several sites that build using foam cores and a reinforced stone fascia, Hollowtop is a green building site that features this method in many places.

Overall, these methods seem to require more cement, but the build times are shorter and there's less stone to haul. I'll really have to work at finding out what type, quantity, strength and design of materials will be required to build something. Guess it all boils down to how much money is in the bank or how willing one is to haul lots of stone when it's time to build!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm personally not a big fan of the slipform method, but it is quick and easy. I figure if I ever build a castle, i'll go for ICF, and cover the exterior with stone, the interior with mostly drywall, with a few feature walls of stone, and probably quite a few paneled in wood.

    I've done stonework in the past, certainly not on the scale of a house, but enough to make me confident I probably could cover an entire house with stone, assuming I had the time. Time, that is where the problem lies. Dressed stone is expensive, but it is much easier to lay than random or "rip-rap" stones. I think brick came about because some guy figured it would be easier to build dressed blocks from scratch than hack them out of the side of a mountain...

    So where random stone is cheaper, dressed block would be quicker. And time is money...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kirk thanks for the post.

    You are absolutely right that dressed stone would be considerably easier; and time is definitely money. If the avenue of purchased, dressed stone is available and affordable to an individual it is a hands down winner compared to fieldstone.

    For better of for worse, I have more time than money, just one of the benefits or drawbacks (it's both, really) of my job. From this perspective, slipform and fieldstone are most practical.

    However, if I were to win the lottery or move up substantially in my field, I can guarantee quarried stone would be high up on the list of purchase items!

    ReplyDelete